SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — It’s no secret Scottsdale has spectacular golf courses, but now the city could move up in standing if it is selected as the best public golf destination by 10Best.
“It’s an absolutely world-class golf destination,” said David Pope, president of the North Scottsdale Men’s Golf Association. “It’s a great place to be able to play and get spoiled by being able to play in these great courses every day.”
Pope has been a resident of the Valley for over 20 years. When it comes to golf, Scottsdale has plenty to offer, he said. Described as a hidden gem in the city, the Vista Verde golf course ranks high on Pope’s list.
“It’s absolutely spectacular,” Pope said.
It’s the total experience — locals and tourists alike — Pope said, that gives Scottsdale a unique opportunity to be one of the best places to play golf. With plenty of dining, hotels and resorts and a variety of golf course styles, the city has a lot to pride itself in.
Running up against Scottsdale are 19 other nominees. They are: Bandon, Ore., Coeur D’Alene, Idaho, Kiawah Island, S.C., Kohler, Wisc., Las Vegas, Maui, Hawaii, Miami, Myrtle Beach, S.C., Naples, Fla., Orlando, Palm Springs, Calif., Pebble Beach, Calif., Pinehurst, N.C., Ponte Vedra, Fla., Ruidoso, N.M., Sea Island, Ga., Texas Hill Country, The Greenbrier, W.V. and even Scotland.
“It’s very impressive, because the link-style golf in Scotland is a completely different type of golf experience than what we get here in the desert,” Pope said. “Most people go away leaving with a feeling that was really cool and a really neat experience to be able to play desert golf.”
The 10Best Readers’ Choice Best Golf Destination contest runs through Monday, April 21, 2014. You can vote once a day at 10best.com.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.