SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — It’s no secret Scottsdale has spectacular golf courses, but now the city could move up in standing if it is selected as the best public golf destination by 10Best.
“It’s an absolutely world-class golf destination,” said David Pope, president of the North Scottsdale Men’s Golf Association. “It’s a great place to be able to play and get spoiled by being able to play in these great courses every day.”
Pope has been a resident of the Valley for over 20 years. When it comes to golf, Scottsdale has plenty to offer, he said. Described as a hidden gem in the city, the Vista Verde golf course ranks high on Pope’s list.
“It’s absolutely spectacular,” Pope said.
It’s the total experience — locals and tourists alike — Pope said, that gives Scottsdale a unique opportunity to be one of the best places to play golf. With plenty of dining, hotels and resorts and a variety of golf course styles, the city has a lot to pride itself in.
Running up against Scottsdale are 19 other nominees. They are: Bandon, Ore., Coeur D’Alene, Idaho, Kiawah Island, S.C., Kohler, Wisc., Las Vegas, Maui, Hawaii, Miami, Myrtle Beach, S.C., Naples, Fla., Orlando, Palm Springs, Calif., Pebble Beach, Calif., Pinehurst, N.C., Ponte Vedra, Fla., Ruidoso, N.M., Sea Island, Ga., Texas Hill Country, The Greenbrier, W.V. and even Scotland.
“It’s very impressive, because the link-style golf in Scotland is a completely different type of golf experience than what we get here in the desert,” Pope said. “Most people go away leaving with a feeling that was really cool and a really neat experience to be able to play desert golf.”
The 10Best Readers’ Choice Best Golf Destination contest runs through Monday, April 21, 2014. You can vote once a day at 10best.com.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night