SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — It’s no secret Scottsdale has spectacular golf courses, but now the city could move up in standing if it is selected as the best public golf destination by 10Best.
“It’s an absolutely world-class golf destination,” said David Pope, president of the North Scottsdale Men’s Golf Association. “It’s a great place to be able to play and get spoiled by being able to play in these great courses every day.”
Pope has been a resident of the Valley for over 20 years. When it comes to golf, Scottsdale has plenty to offer, he said. Described as a hidden gem in the city, the Vista Verde golf course ranks high on Pope’s list.
“It’s absolutely spectacular,” Pope said.
It’s the total experience — locals and tourists alike — Pope said, that gives Scottsdale a unique opportunity to be one of the best places to play golf. With plenty of dining, hotels and resorts and a variety of golf course styles, the city has a lot to pride itself in.
Running up against Scottsdale are 19 other nominees. They are: Bandon, Ore., Coeur D’Alene, Idaho, Kiawah Island, S.C., Kohler, Wisc., Las Vegas, Maui, Hawaii, Miami, Myrtle Beach, S.C., Naples, Fla., Orlando, Palm Springs, Calif., Pebble Beach, Calif., Pinehurst, N.C., Ponte Vedra, Fla., Ruidoso, N.M., Sea Island, Ga., Texas Hill Country, The Greenbrier, W.V. and even Scotland.
“It’s very impressive, because the link-style golf in Scotland is a completely different type of golf experience than what we get here in the desert,” Pope said. “Most people go away leaving with a feeling that was really cool and a really neat experience to be able to play desert golf.”
The 10Best Readers’ Choice Best Golf Destination contest runs through Monday, April 21, 2014. You can vote once a day at 10best.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food