PHOENIX — About 200 volunteers from Shutterfly and KaBoom are spending a beautiful Friday building a new playground for a Phoenix charter school.
For the kindergarten-through-fifth-grade students at Vista College Preparatory near Seventh Avenue and Grant Street in Phoenix, it’s nearly a miracle.
About 97 percent of the the children come from low-income lives and this playground means the world to them. They designed it with drawings in January and with the exception of a pool, it’s exactly what they called for.
“(The children) are thrilled. They keep looking at it and it’s all they can talk about,” Principal Julia Meyerson said.
Delfina Orozco with Shutterfly is among those putting in new grass, slides, swing sets, even a miniature soccer field.
“It’s amazing, just a good feeling. I’ll be sore at the end of the day but this is all worth it, Orozco said. “This pulls at my heartstrings. I saw this facility before we started to tear things down for a playground.”
Coworker Dwain Parrish said his reward for a hard day of labor will be seeing the look on the children’s faces when the job is wrapped up.
“The end result of this is priceless. It’s a great time for us,” he said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas