PHOENIX — About 200 volunteers from Shutterfly and KaBoom are spending a beautiful Friday building a new playground for a Phoenix charter school.
For the kindergarten-through-fifth-grade students at Vista College Preparatory near Seventh Avenue and Grant Street in Phoenix, it’s nearly a miracle.
About 97 percent of the the children come from low-income lives and this playground means the world to them. They designed it with drawings in January and with the exception of a pool, it’s exactly what they called for.
“(The children) are thrilled. They keep looking at it and it’s all they can talk about,” Principal Julia Meyerson said.
Delfina Orozco with Shutterfly is among those putting in new grass, slides, swing sets, even a miniature soccer field.
“It’s amazing, just a good feeling. I’ll be sore at the end of the day but this is all worth it, Orozco said. “This pulls at my heartstrings. I saw this facility before we started to tear things down for a playground.”
Coworker Dwain Parrish said his reward for a hard day of labor will be seeing the look on the children’s faces when the job is wrapped up.
“The end result of this is priceless. It’s a great time for us,” he said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon