Kids say and do the darndest things.
For 6-year-old Gunner Mertlich of Queen Creek, Ariz., his darndest moment came at a time when most people would be celebrating, but not him.
Last Friday, Gunner and his two younger sisters, Paisley and Harper, sat down at the dinner table to find out whether they’d be getting a new baby brother or sister from their expecting mother, and the answer set Gunner off into a tantrum.
Gunner, excited about the prospect of a new brother, was presented a plain white cake with a colored inside that would reveal the sex of the expected child, pink for a girl and blue for a boy. But when Gunner pulled up a slice of the cake to reveal a pink interior, everything came crashing down.
“We thought they’d (the kids) be surprised, we didn’t he (Gunner) would react that way,” Tiffany Mertlich, Gunner’s mother said. “We thought he’d be a little disappointed, but we didn’t know he was going to be that disappointed.”
Stunned by that he would have yet another sister, Gunner repeated “It’s a girl?” several times then burst into tears, yelling everything from how he wanted to leave home and never come back, to how he hates girls and there are too many of them.
About two hours after the upsetting news, Tiffany said her usually mellow son finally calmed down and ate some of the cake anyway.
Tiffany and her husband Jason posted the video to Facebook where they said it got a strong response from friends and family, then decided to put it to YouTube and it’s been getting more and more attention since. The video has since stopped working but remains posted.
“We didn’t expect it to take off like it has,” she said. “We just thought our friends and family would enjoy it and have a good laugh.”
She said she is looking forward to showing the video to Gunner and his little sister in a few years.
“He’s just so funny, every time I watch it I laugh,” Tiffany said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food