PHOENIX — As college basketball fans glue themselves to March Madness, some Arizona foodies are gearing up for a different kind of showdown.
The March Madness Ultimate Burrito Showdown, a contest between 16 Arizona restaurants, began Thursday.
“We’ve got a great cross-section of restaurants who want to compete to have the best burrito,” said Steve Chucri with the Arizona Restaurant Association.
These burritos are anything but standard fare. Chucri said some of the top eateries in Arizona will bring their burrito A-game.
“These restaurants are top drawer and it’s not the Mexican food that’s the common expectation of the pedestrian of the street,” he said. “This is gourmet food.”
The best burrito will be decided through an online bracket, similar to that used in the March Madness tournament.
“You’ll be able to vote and to see who’s winning and who’s not, just like you would go check scores for the NCAA,” Chucri said.
The participating restaurants are:
Molina’s Midway (Tucson)
Los Dos Molinos (Phoenix/Mesa)
Barrio Queen (Scottsdale)
Blanco Tacos (Phoenix/Scottsdale)
Crescent Ballroom (Phoenix)
Joyride Taco House (Gilbert)
Javelina Cantina (Sedona)
America’s Taco Shop (Valleywide)
Otro Cafe (Phoenix)
The Original Burrito Co. (Ahwatukee)
Chino Bandido (Phoenix/Chandler)
Carlsbad Tavern (Scottsdale)
SOL Cocina (Scottsdale)
The final winner will be chosen April 7. To cast your vote, go to facebook.com/arizonarestaurantweek.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development