PHOENIX — As college basketball fans glue themselves to March Madness, some Arizona foodies are gearing up for a different kind of showdown.
The March Madness Ultimate Burrito Showdown, a contest between 16 Arizona restaurants, began Thursday.
“We’ve got a great cross-section of restaurants who want to compete to have the best burrito,” said Steve Chucri with the Arizona Restaurant Association.
These burritos are anything but standard fare. Chucri said some of the top eateries in Arizona will bring their burrito A-game.
“These restaurants are top drawer and it’s not the Mexican food that’s the common expectation of the pedestrian of the street,” he said. “This is gourmet food.”
The best burrito will be decided through an online bracket, similar to that used in the March Madness tournament.
“You’ll be able to vote and to see who’s winning and who’s not, just like you would go check scores for the NCAA,” Chucri said.
The participating restaurants are:
Molina’s Midway (Tucson)
Los Dos Molinos (Phoenix/Mesa)
Barrio Queen (Scottsdale)
Blanco Tacos (Phoenix/Scottsdale)
Crescent Ballroom (Phoenix)
Joyride Taco House (Gilbert)
Javelina Cantina (Sedona)
America’s Taco Shop (Valleywide)
Otro Cafe (Phoenix)
The Original Burrito Co. (Ahwatukee)
Chino Bandido (Phoenix/Chandler)
Carlsbad Tavern (Scottsdale)
SOL Cocina (Scottsdale)
The final winner will be chosen April 7. To cast your vote, go to facebook.com/arizonarestaurantweek.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments