PHOENIX — An expert said Arizona has the potential for landslides similar to the one that has devastated a Washington state community, but it’s unlikely.
The deadly slide in Oso, Wash. over the weekend has left 25 people dead and 90 listed as missing. Landslide hazards are always present in the mountains of Arizona but Mike Conway with the Arizona Geological Survey said the difference between Arizona and Washington is rainfall.
“If we had the same rainfall that Washington state has had in the past year we would have problems with debris flows or smaller landslides. We had a landslide in 2008 on the Beeline Highway near Payson that shut down the highway for several days,” Conway said.
“ADOT has done a lot of work along the Beeline to identify potential landslide danger zones. Events like the dramatic collapse in Washington are unusual.”
Conway said the McDowell Mountains, 20 miles northeast of Phoenix, had one of Arizona’s largest landslides. According to the Survey, about 500,000 years ago, a portion of the east-central summit of the McDowell Mountains collapsed into a catastrophic rock avalanche. The landslide brought down enough earthen material to fill six Arizona State University’s Sun Devil Stadiums.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them