PHOENIX — When the Los Angeles Angels beat the Oakland A’s 6-2 on Wednesday afternoon, nearly 50 years of professional baseball at Phoenix Municipal stadium came to an end.
The A’s have been playing their Cactus League spring training games there since 1982. They will move to Hohokam Park in Mesa next year.
Phoenix Municipal Stadium opened in 1964 as the spring training home of the San Francisco Giants. It was also the regular-season home stadium for the Giants’ Triple-A farm team, the Phoenix Giants.
Willie Mays was the first player to hit a home run there, and the light poles are from the Old Polo Grounds in New York, which was the home of the New York Giants before they moved to San Francisco.
Some fans say they’ll miss the old ballpark.
“It’s baseball like it was back when I was a kid,” said Leon Smith of Avondale. “It’s an old stadium. The new stadiums have all of the fancy stuff, but it’s just not the same.”
Patrick Larkin of Phoenix has some great memories of watching games at Phoenix Municipal, but he thinks it’s time for the A’s to leave.
“With all of the new ballparks they have now, this thing is definitely in the cellar,” he said.
Both men say they’ll be back to Phoenix Municipal next season … to watch college baseball. The Arizona State Sun Devils will leave Packard Stadium in Tempe to start playing their home games at Phoenix Municipal next year.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development