PHOENIX — When the Los Angeles Angels beat the Oakland A’s 6-2 on Wednesday afternoon, nearly 50 years of professional baseball at Phoenix Municipal stadium came to an end.
The A’s have been playing their Cactus League spring training games there since 1982. They will move to Hohokam Park in Mesa next year.
Phoenix Municipal Stadium opened in 1964 as the spring training home of the San Francisco Giants. It was also the regular-season home stadium for the Giants’ Triple-A farm team, the Phoenix Giants.
Willie Mays was the first player to hit a home run there, and the light poles are from the Old Polo Grounds in New York, which was the home of the New York Giants before they moved to San Francisco.
Some fans say they’ll miss the old ballpark.
“It’s baseball like it was back when I was a kid,” said Leon Smith of Avondale. “It’s an old stadium. The new stadiums have all of the fancy stuff, but it’s just not the same.”
Patrick Larkin of Phoenix has some great memories of watching games at Phoenix Municipal, but he thinks it’s time for the A’s to leave.
“With all of the new ballparks they have now, this thing is definitely in the cellar,” he said.
Both men say they’ll be back to Phoenix Municipal next season … to watch college baseball. The Arizona State Sun Devils will leave Packard Stadium in Tempe to start playing their home games at Phoenix Municipal next year.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.