The Fiesta Bowl has made another round of layoffs — reducing its staff nearly by half.
The Phoenix Business Journal reported Wednesday that the once Bowl Championship Series game cut jobs both late last week and early this week, including both marketing and communications positions.
The staff, which was at about 30 people before the layoffs, has now been reduced between 25 and 50 percent. Most major bowl games have a staff of between six and 15 employees.
The Fiesta Bowl lost executive director Robert Shelton in January as it recovered from a scandal that saw its former CEO, John Junker, sentenced to eight months in jail and a number of other executives resigning or being fired in 2011.
Former Waste Management executive and bowl chairman Duane Woods is serving in the position while the bowl searches for Shelton’s replacement.
The Scottsdale-based group puts on both the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in Glendale and the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Tempe while also organizing bids to bring college football playoff games to Glendale.
The Fiesta Bowl and University of Phoenix Stadium will host college football’s championship game in 2016 and a semifinal in 2017.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food