The Fiesta Bowl has made another round of layoffs — reducing its staff nearly by half.
The Phoenix Business Journal reported Wednesday that the once Bowl Championship Series game cut jobs both late last week and early this week, including both marketing and communications positions.
The staff, which was at about 30 people before the layoffs, has now been reduced between 25 and 50 percent. Most major bowl games have a staff of between six and 15 employees.
The Fiesta Bowl lost executive director Robert Shelton in January as it recovered from a scandal that saw its former CEO, John Junker, sentenced to eight months in jail and a number of other executives resigning or being fired in 2011.
Former Waste Management executive and bowl chairman Duane Woods is serving in the position while the bowl searches for Shelton’s replacement.
The Scottsdale-based group puts on both the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in Glendale and the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Tempe while also organizing bids to bring college football playoff games to Glendale.
The Fiesta Bowl and University of Phoenix Stadium will host college football’s championship game in 2016 and a semifinal in 2017.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America