PHOENIX — They’re calling it the day of action.
Democrats and gun violence prevention advocates rallied at the Arizona State Capitol Wednesday, urging lawmakers to reject several gun bills that are now making their way through the legislature.
The group chanted “No” as Arizonans for Gun Safety President Hildy Saizow said the bill numbers one-by-one. She said that House Bills 2339 and 2517 as well as Senate Bill 1063 should all be rejected by lawmakers.
“Taken together, these bills are extreme,” Saizow said. “They allow concealed guns in public buildings and events. They force local officials to accept guns in our libraries, community centers, senior centers and public pools.”
Senate Minority Leader Anna Tovar, a Democrat, said that HB 2517 could punish local officials.
“The state of Arizona can regulate guns on state-owned property,” Tovar said. “But any local official that regulates gun use or possession on city property could be fined or removed from office.”
Tovar claims that Republicans are trying to push these bills through the legislature quickly, and said she feels that Arizona needs a more “common sense” approach to gun legislation.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon