PHOENIX — They’re calling it the day of action.
Democrats and gun violence prevention advocates rallied at the Arizona State Capitol Wednesday, urging lawmakers to reject several gun bills that are now making their way through the legislature.
The group chanted “No” as Arizonans for Gun Safety President Hildy Saizow said the bill numbers one-by-one. She said that House Bills 2339 and 2517 as well as Senate Bill 1063 should all be rejected by lawmakers.
“Taken together, these bills are extreme,” Saizow said. “They allow concealed guns in public buildings and events. They force local officials to accept guns in our libraries, community centers, senior centers and public pools.”
Senate Minority Leader Anna Tovar, a Democrat, said that HB 2517 could punish local officials.
“The state of Arizona can regulate guns on state-owned property,” Tovar said. “But any local official that regulates gun use or possession on city property could be fined or removed from office.”
Tovar claims that Republicans are trying to push these bills through the legislature quickly, and said she feels that Arizona needs a more “common sense” approach to gun legislation.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns