PHOENIX — They’re calling it the day of action.
Democrats and gun violence prevention advocates rallied at the Arizona State Capitol Wednesday, urging lawmakers to reject several gun bills that are now making their way through the legislature.
The group chanted “No” as Arizonans for Gun Safety President Hildy Saizow said the bill numbers one-by-one. She said that House Bills 2339 and 2517 as well as Senate Bill 1063 should all be rejected by lawmakers.
“Taken together, these bills are extreme,” Saizow said. “They allow concealed guns in public buildings and events. They force local officials to accept guns in our libraries, community centers, senior centers and public pools.”
Senate Minority Leader Anna Tovar, a Democrat, said that HB 2517 could punish local officials.
“The state of Arizona can regulate guns on state-owned property,” Tovar said. “But any local official that regulates gun use or possession on city property could be fined or removed from office.”
Tovar claims that Republicans are trying to push these bills through the legislature quickly, and said she feels that Arizona needs a more “common sense” approach to gun legislation.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night