April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and Maricopa County is asking you to “Be That Someone,” for a valley child in foster care.
“For a child a CASA volunteer advocate provides that consistent, caring adult in their life while they navigate the very complex and trying child welfare system,” said Laurie Laughlin, program director for CASA of Maricopa County.
CASA, the Court Appointed Special Advocate program, is kicking off the year-long volunteer recruitment campaign called “Be That Someone.”
“We have over 10,000 children involved in the foster care system in Maricopa County,” Laughlin said.
The system is swamped, and Laughlin said those children need help getting placement sooner rather than later.
“Placements change, service providers change, attorneys, therapists, schools … all of that changes,” she said. “The one thing that can be there for that child, through the length of their case is, the court appointed special advocate.”
If you’re over 21 and want to become an advocate, you must complete the application process that will include more than 30 hours of training, extensive background checks and polygraph tests.
Applications can be found at maricopacasa.org.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets