PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks and the University of Phoenix have teamed up to award three fans with scholarships.
“Hopefully we’re able to help out a few kids and start something this year that can continue for years to come,” said D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who is funding the scholarships.
Goldschmidt said he has two personal reasons for getting involved with the “Teaming Up for Education” program.
“Before I was drafted, I worked really hard for three years to get good grades and I wanted to finish up that last year and not have those three years not go to waste,” he said. “The second thing is that, whether you like it or not, having your college degree is going top open up a lot more doors.”
Applicants to the program must be Arizona residents. Only 150 applicants will be accepted. The deadline is July 15.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development