PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks and the University of Phoenix have teamed up to award three fans with scholarships.
“Hopefully we’re able to help out a few kids and start something this year that can continue for years to come,” said D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who is funding the scholarships.
Goldschmidt said he has two personal reasons for getting involved with the “Teaming Up for Education” program.
“Before I was drafted, I worked really hard for three years to get good grades and I wanted to finish up that last year and not have those three years not go to waste,” he said. “The second thing is that, whether you like it or not, having your college degree is going top open up a lot more doors.”
Applicants to the program must be Arizona residents. Only 150 applicants will be accepted. The deadline is July 15.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.