PHOENIX — The city of Phoenix received the inaugural National Award of Distinction from a Navy organization Wednesday, for becoming the nation’s first large city to end chronic veterans’ homelessness.
“It took a lot of effort and time and dedication to developing the program and putting it into practice,” said
Charles Bradley, president of the Association of the U.S. Navy. He added that Mayor Greg Stanton took ownership of a problem that is often ignored and that the city is the model for other cities.
“A lot of cities are taking the model Mayor Stanton developed and taking action to match Phoenix,” Bradley said. Phoenix achieved its goal in mid-Deecmber.
Salt Lake City is the only other major U.S. city to claim it has ended chronic homelessness among veterans. Bradley said San Diego has made great progress.
Proud of nat'l award from Assoc. of U.S. Navy for Phx work on vets homelessness. Many earned it & still much to do! pic.twitter.com/64XTHz0POK
— Greg Stanton (@MayorStanton) March 26, 2014
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food