PHOENIX — The first Chicago Cubs spring training at Cubs Park has put smiles on the faces of Mesa business owners, a city official said.
Mesa Convention and Visitor’s Bureau President Sally Harrison said the first year has been a big success.
“I don’t the specifics as far as numbers, but hotels are full and there are lines at the restaurants,” she said. “I know I’ve arrived at restaurants and had to change plans because they’re full. I think it’s been great.”
Harrison is expecting an even bigger year in 2015 when the Oakland A’s will start playing their Cactus League games at Hohokam Park.
“Having two spring training teams is going to be great,” said Harrison.
The final spring training game in Mesa for this year is Wednesday when the Cubs host their crosstown rivals, the Chicago White Sox.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier