PHOENIX — Arizona’s fire season is coming early this year thanks to the dry and warm winter.
Areas around Sedona were already considered to have a high fire danger last week. Parts of Grand Canyon National Park, as well as the Coconino and Kaibab National Forests were raised to a high fire danger rating Tuesday.
Flagstaff had only 35 inches of snow this winter. They should have more than 100 inches by now.
“We’re about six to seven weeks ahead of our historical date for moving into high fire danger,” said Holly Krake with the Forest Service.
Krake said there are no closures or fire restrictions yet for visitors but all forest and park visitors are asked to use caution with campfires and other ignition sources such as cigarettes and they’re asking property owners to get to work.
“This would include removing brush around homes and outbuildings to create a defensible space,” she said. “Property owners can learn more about protecting their homes and neighborhoods from wildfires at fireadapted.org.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food