PHOENIX — Movie buffs might want to head to the Phoenix Art Museum.
The Hollywood Costume exhibit opens Wednesday, and there are some pretty fantastic things to see.
It’s like walking through timeless Hollywood classics. You’ll find Rocky’s boxing trunks, as well as costumes from the “Bourne Identity,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and other classics. Marilyn Monroe’s dress from the famous street scene in “The Seven Year Itch” is there.
“Hollywood Costume is really not about the clothes,” said Deborah Nadoolman Landis, a UCLA professor and the curator of the exhibit. “It’s really about the contribution that costume designers make to every single production, no matter what the story is.”
But some fantastic costumes are here, including the Darth Vader costume worn in “Star Wars.” Then there’s Landis’ own exhibit. She designed the Indiana Jones and other costumes in “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
She said that director Steven Spielberg had a good idea what he wanted Indiana Jones to look like before he hired here.
“I gave him my drawing pad and said ‘Here Steven, draw it for me.” He did, and she’s kept Spielberg’s sketch all of these years. “Since 1980, it’s been hanging in my son’s room.”
Also is a red carpet section featuring gowns worn by Hollywood stars on Oscar night. They include gowns worn by Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Sally Field and Glenn Close.
“The red carpet is such a hot topic these days,” said museum fashion curator Dennita Sewell. “I worked with Dr. Landis. We co-curated this together to highlight the transformation between the actress as she appears in the movie and how she looks on the red carpet.”
The Hollywood Costumes and Hollywood Red Carpet exhibits are open through July 6.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas