PHOENIX — Movie buffs might want to head to the Phoenix Art Museum.
The Hollywood Costume exhibit opens Wednesday, and there are some pretty fantastic things to see.
It’s like walking through timeless Hollywood classics. You’ll find Rocky’s boxing trunks, as well as costumes from the “Bourne Identity,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and other classics. Marilyn Monroe’s dress from the famous street scene in “The Seven Year Itch” is there.
“Hollywood Costume is really not about the clothes,” said Deborah Nadoolman Landis, a UCLA professor and the curator of the exhibit. “It’s really about the contribution that costume designers make to every single production, no matter what the story is.”
But some fantastic costumes are here, including the Darth Vader costume worn in “Star Wars.” Then there’s Landis’ own exhibit. She designed the Indiana Jones and other costumes in “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
She said that director Steven Spielberg had a good idea what he wanted Indiana Jones to look like before he hired here.
“I gave him my drawing pad and said ‘Here Steven, draw it for me.” He did, and she’s kept Spielberg’s sketch all of these years. “Since 1980, it’s been hanging in my son’s room.”
Also is a red carpet section featuring gowns worn by Hollywood stars on Oscar night. They include gowns worn by Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Sally Field and Glenn Close.
“The red carpet is such a hot topic these days,” said museum fashion curator Dennita Sewell. “I worked with Dr. Landis. We co-curated this together to highlight the transformation between the actress as she appears in the movie and how she looks on the red carpet.”
The Hollywood Costumes and Hollywood Red Carpet exhibits are open through July 6.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development