PHOENIX — Movie buffs might want to head to the Phoenix Art Museum.
The Hollywood Costume exhibit opens Wednesday, and there are some pretty fantastic things to see.
It’s like walking through timeless Hollywood classics. You’ll find Rocky’s boxing trunks, as well as costumes from the “Bourne Identity,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and other classics. Marilyn Monroe’s dress from the famous street scene in “The Seven Year Itch” is there.
“Hollywood Costume is really not about the clothes,” said Deborah Nadoolman Landis, a UCLA professor and the curator of the exhibit. “It’s really about the contribution that costume designers make to every single production, no matter what the story is.”
But some fantastic costumes are here, including the Darth Vader costume worn in “Star Wars.” Then there’s Landis’ own exhibit. She designed the Indiana Jones and other costumes in “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
She said that director Steven Spielberg had a good idea what he wanted Indiana Jones to look like before he hired here.
“I gave him my drawing pad and said ‘Here Steven, draw it for me.” He did, and she’s kept Spielberg’s sketch all of these years. “Since 1980, it’s been hanging in my son’s room.”
Also is a red carpet section featuring gowns worn by Hollywood stars on Oscar night. They include gowns worn by Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Sally Field and Glenn Close.
“The red carpet is such a hot topic these days,” said museum fashion curator Dennita Sewell. “I worked with Dr. Landis. We co-curated this together to highlight the transformation between the actress as she appears in the movie and how she looks on the red carpet.”
The Hollywood Costumes and Hollywood Red Carpet exhibits are open through July 6.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night