PHOENIX — A pregnant teenager and her family managed to escape their burning west side home with minor injuries Wednesday morning.
A series of explosions woke the neighborhood near 91st Avenue and Thomas Road around 4:30 a.m. The fire started in the garage, and filled the home with smoke.
Four children, ranging in age from 10 to 17, and two adults, made it out safely. The pregnant 17-year-old suffered smoke inhalation but is expected to recover.
Two trucks and a car were ruined.
“The first thing we heard were loud booms,” said next-door neighbor Nilly Cara. “It sounded very close and loud and I thought something was happening in our house. The flames were above the tree tops. Maybe 30-40 feet.”
Firefighters said the “booms” were tires on a pickup truck parked in the garage. The home is heavily damaged.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier