PHOENIX — A pregnant teenager and her family managed to escape their burning west side home with minor injuries Wednesday morning.
A series of explosions woke the neighborhood near 91st Avenue and Thomas Road around 4:30 a.m. The fire started in the garage, and filled the home with smoke.
Four children, ranging in age from 10 to 17, and two adults, made it out safely. The pregnant 17-year-old suffered smoke inhalation but is expected to recover.
Two trucks and a car were ruined.
“The first thing we heard were loud booms,” said next-door neighbor Nilly Cara. “It sounded very close and loud and I thought something was happening in our house. The flames were above the tree tops. Maybe 30-40 feet.”
Firefighters said the “booms” were tires on a pickup truck parked in the garage. The home is heavily damaged.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon