PHOENIX — Even though the state’s housing market and economy has improved since the recession in 2008, Arizona still lags behind the rest of the country in some important employment categories.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has released last year’s numbers of those unemployed and underemployed, and economist Todd Johnson said Arizona had numbers above the national average.
“Arizona was running a fair amount higher than the U.S.,” said Johnson. “The Arizona figure is 16 percent, whereas the U.S. is 13.8, so that’s a fairly large difference.”
The report factored in the numbers of those unemployed; underemployed, which are individuals who are working part time and would prefer to be full time; and those “marginally attached to the labor force,” which are individuals who have looked for work in the last 12 months but not in the past four weeks.
In 2013 Arizona had 241,800 unemployed residents and another 184,100 were underemployed, according to the report. It also said there were 64,500 residents in the marginally attached category and of those, 20,700 were considered discouraged workers, or those who are not looking for work because they do not believe jobs are available.
Last year’s numbers in Arizona were slightly up from 2012, which was at 15.9 percent, but for the most part numbers in the U.S. and Arizona have been dropping since a spike in 2008. However, Johnson said Arizona has stayed constantly above the national average.
He said Arizona’s 16 percent average makes it among the worst in the country.
“The top four are all in the west,” he said. “Arizona is fourth, so it’s doing at least somewhat better than Nevada and California and Oregon.”
He said Nevada had the worst average at 16.5 percent.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas