PHOENIX — It’s time to say “shalom” to one legendary Phoenix bakery on Wednesday.
Using old world ingredients, Karsh’s Bakery began operations in the early 1960s, specializing in kosher breads, pastries and cakes. It is also one of the few bakeries under the supervision of the Phoenix Vaad Hakashruth, an Orthodox community-based nonprofit kosher agency.
Now, after five decades, the bakery is closing its doors.
“It’s been a struggle,” Karsh’s manager, April, told Phoenix New Times. “There’s so much competition now.”
While the bakery has remained popular, sales just haven’t been enough to continue paying the lease.
Karsh’s Bakery, located at 5555 N. 7th Street, will be open Wednesday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Plenty of rye bread and challah will be available.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths