PHOENIX — It’s time to say “shalom” to one legendary Phoenix bakery on Wednesday.
Using old world ingredients, Karsh’s Bakery began operations in the early 1960s, specializing in kosher breads, pastries and cakes. It is also one of the few bakeries under the supervision of the Phoenix Vaad Hakashruth, an Orthodox community-based nonprofit kosher agency.
Now, after five decades, the bakery is closing its doors.
“It’s been a struggle,” Karsh’s manager, April, told Phoenix New Times. “There’s so much competition now.”
While the bakery has remained popular, sales just haven’t been enough to continue paying the lease.
Karsh’s Bakery, located at 5555 N. 7th Street, will be open Wednesday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Plenty of rye bread and challah will be available.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food