PHOENIX — The first large dust storm of the year hit the Valley on Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service said.
A large cloud of dust was first spotted near Eloy, Ariz. about 3:30 p.m. Meteorologist James Quinones said the storm’s origins were near Tucson, where several thunderstorms were brewing.
One man was able to capture the storm on video using a personal drone.
A dust storm warning was issued for the Interstate 10 corridor between Casa Grande, just south of Phoenix, and Tucson. A warning for the Phoenix metro area followed about 30 minutes later.
Both warnings were lifted about 5 p.m.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said the storm caused at least five crashes along I-10.
The first part of the storm began to affect Gilbert about 4 p.m.
The dust made it to the southern part of the Valley, where it petered out.
Arizona is no stranger to large dust storms or haboobs, though the NWS said Tuesday’s storm is unseasonably early.
“We usually don’t see this until the summer when you get those really big supercells,” Quinones added.
Windy conditions are expected to continue through Thursday as a small front moves through the state. Gusts could be as high as 40 mph Wednesday.
KTAR’s Paul Ihander contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident