PHOENIX — The first large dust storm of the year hit the Valley on Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service said.
A large cloud of dust was first spotted near Eloy, Ariz. about 3:30 p.m. Meteorologist James Quinones said the storm’s origins were near Tucson, where several thunderstorms were brewing.
One man was able to capture the storm on video using a personal drone.
A dust storm warning was issued for the Interstate 10 corridor between Casa Grande, just south of Phoenix, and Tucson. A warning for the Phoenix metro area followed about 30 minutes later.
Both warnings were lifted about 5 p.m.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said the storm caused at least five crashes along I-10.
The first part of the storm began to affect Gilbert about 4 p.m.
The dust made it to the southern part of the Valley, where it petered out.
Arizona is no stranger to large dust storms or haboobs, though the NWS said Tuesday’s storm is unseasonably early.
“We usually don’t see this until the summer when you get those really big supercells,” Quinones added.
Windy conditions are expected to continue through Thursday as a small front moves through the state. Gusts could be as high as 40 mph Wednesday.
KTAR’s Paul Ihander contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona