PHOENIX — Members of the Chandler Law Enforcement Association are making the final preparations for a benefit cookout to help the family of an officer who died in an accident.
Detective Sean McKenzie was killed in an off-duty motorcycle collision mid-March near State Route 347 and Riggs Road.
“I didn’t think it was real, I kept hoping it was some kind of mistake,” Det. Nathan Moffat said of his friend’s death. Both men worked on the family crimes unit. “He was a great guy, a lot of fun to be with. He loved life,” Moffat said.
McKenzie, 41, left behind a 15- and 11- year-old.
The March 26 cookout will feature a bounce house and raffle at the Chandler Police Department Community Room, located at 250 E. Chicago St. The event goes from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America