PHOENIX — The Arizona Board of Regents is giving the public a chance to voice its opinion over proposed tuition hikes from the state’s three major universities.
The increases would go into effect for Arizona State, University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University students for the 2014-15 school year.
ASU has proposed to freeze tuition for in-state undergrads, but add a $75 per student, per semester fee to fund athletics, as well as a 3 percent hike for out of state students.
U of A has proposed a 2 percent increase for current in-state undergrads, as well as a four-year “guaranteed tuition” plan for incoming students that would be 6 percent above what current in-state undergraduates pay. Out of state students would see a 5 percent increase.
Incoming freshman at NAU would pay 2.6 percent more than current students.
As expected, many students aren’t happy about the proposed increases, and Board of Regents President Eileen Klein doesn’t blame them. But she adds it’s ultimately up to some state lawmakers to help determine how the Board votes on whether or not to increase tuition.
“We have made a very strong case with the legislature that increased state funding is the most important factor in keeping tuition down,” she said.
Klein says the Board will also consider how each school is spending the money they’re currently getting.
“What are the universities trying to achieve with these funds?” Klein added.
She said the Board of Regents is expected to vote on the tuition proposals April 3.
From 5 p.m to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Valley residents can attend hearings at one of four locations:
ASU Tempe, Memorial Union, Memorial Lounge
ASU Polytechnic, Mesa, Picacho 150
ASU West, Phoenix, Verde Dining Pavilion Multi Room II
ASU Downtown, Phoenix, Student Center at the Post Office, San Carlos Conference Room 135
Comments can also be sent via email to the Arizona Board of Regents at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at (602) 229-2555.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick