PHOENIX — After months of meetings, drawings and designs, the final master plan for Margaret T. Hance Park will be presented to city leaders and unveiled during a community celebration this week.
The goal is to turn the 32-acre park built over Interstate 10 near downtown into a modern, urban park.
Architect Philip Weddle said the park has a tremendous amount of potential. His firm was hired to conduct community input and create the final master plan. During public hearings, Weddle said he heard a few comments over and over.
“People are really looking for a park with vibrancy and activity in it,” he said. “There are also a lot of common themes about needing a lot of shade and introducing water into the park.”
Safety is another concern for residents and Weddle said that’s where daily and nightly activities can make a difference.
“As people are more involved and you have more activities going on, they tend to watch out for each other and it just becomes a safer environment.”
Built in 1990, Hance Park stretches from Fifth Avenue to Third Street and houses the Japanese Friendship Garden, the Irish Cultural Center and Burton Barr Central Library. Weddle said the park’s location along Central Avenue can become an exciting space that connects to the library and light rail line.
“We have a very sculptural shade structure that spans over Central Avenue that we refer to as ‘the cloud’ and I think that’s really going to become the signature piece for the park.”
On Wednesday, Weddle and his team will present the final master plan to the Park, Arts, Transparency and Education Subcommittee. It will then move on the full city council for a vote.
The whole plan is expected to take 10 years to complete and cost about $115 million. You can see the initial concept plan here.
On Thursday, the public is invited to view the design during a community celebration at Hance Park from 5 to 8 p.m. The event will feature live music, family activities and food trucks.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets