PHOENIX — The focus is on taxpayer dollars at the Arizona Legislature this week.
Gov. Jan Brewer’s budget calls for $9.4 billion in spending while the Arizona Senate’s proposal calls for $9.18 billion. Now, it’s the House of Representatives’ turn to hold budget hearings and votes.
While budgets cover everything from education to public safety and taxes to transportation, there has been special attention paid lately to Arizona’s child welfare agency and a closer look reveals some key differences.
Brewer’s budget calls for $21.5 million to hire 93 staffers and start overhauling a computer system to track cases. The Senate budget calls for spending $15.3 million and adding 20 staffers.
Brewer is also asking for a $25 million fund to separate Child Protective Services from the Department of Economic Security and create a standalone agency known as Child Safety and Family Services.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon