PHOENIX — The focus is on taxpayer dollars at the Arizona Legislature this week.
Gov. Jan Brewer’s budget calls for $9.4 billion in spending while the Arizona Senate’s proposal calls for $9.18 billion. Now, it’s the House of Representatives’ turn to hold budget hearings and votes.
While budgets cover everything from education to public safety and taxes to transportation, there has been special attention paid lately to Arizona’s child welfare agency and a closer look reveals some key differences.
Brewer’s budget calls for $21.5 million to hire 93 staffers and start overhauling a computer system to track cases. The Senate budget calls for spending $15.3 million and adding 20 staffers.
Brewer is also asking for a $25 million fund to separate Child Protective Services from the Department of Economic Security and create a standalone agency known as Child Safety and Family Services.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier