PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his chief deputy are heading to court Monday morning.
A federal court judge has ordered them to appear at a status conference on a racial profiling ruling.
Judge G. Murray Snow is concerned that the sheriff’s office may not be complying with his earlier injunction that forbids his officers from racially profiling suspects.
The judge cited a training session that was videotaped before a 2013 crime suppression sweep. In the video, Chief Deputy Jerry Sheridan can allegedly be seen telling deputies that the judge’s order is “ludicrous” and “crap.”
Arpaio said he doesn’t know what to expect today.
“Let’s see what happens,” said Arpaio. “I don’t know what’s going on. He just asked me to come there.”
Arpaio insists that isn’t racially profiling suspects, and that he has reached out to the Hispanic community, even during the crime suppression sweeps.
“I stopped two cars myself,” said Arpaio. “I didn’t know who was inside the cars. It was too dark! (It turns out) they were all Hispanics. They saw me and (shouted), ‘Hey, Sheriff! We love you! The next thing (they are having me pose) for pictures with them. That’s kind of an outreach. Two times that happened!”
Meanwhile, Arpaio said his attorneys are appealing the judge’s earlier ruling.
“I promised from day one that we would appeal this case.”
Arpaio said his attorneys filed the paperwork just before the March 14 deadline, and the case is now in the hands of the appellate court.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food