PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his chief deputy are heading to court Monday morning.
A federal court judge has ordered them to appear at a status conference on a racial profiling ruling.
Judge G. Murray Snow is concerned that the sheriff’s office may not be complying with his earlier injunction that forbids his officers from racially profiling suspects.
The judge cited a training session that was videotaped before a 2013 crime suppression sweep. In the video, Chief Deputy Jerry Sheridan can allegedly be seen telling deputies that the judge’s order is “ludicrous” and “crap.”
Arpaio said he doesn’t know what to expect today.
“Let’s see what happens,” said Arpaio. “I don’t know what’s going on. He just asked me to come there.”
Arpaio insists that isn’t racially profiling suspects, and that he has reached out to the Hispanic community, even during the crime suppression sweeps.
“I stopped two cars myself,” said Arpaio. “I didn’t know who was inside the cars. It was too dark! (It turns out) they were all Hispanics. They saw me and (shouted), ‘Hey, Sheriff! We love you! The next thing (they are having me pose) for pictures with them. That’s kind of an outreach. Two times that happened!”
Meanwhile, Arpaio said his attorneys are appealing the judge’s earlier ruling.
“I promised from day one that we would appeal this case.”
Arpaio said his attorneys filed the paperwork just before the March 14 deadline, and the case is now in the hands of the appellate court.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.