PHOENIX — Phoenix police say a man has died after he was shot while attempting to assault an officer seated in his patrol vehicle.
Police spokesman Steve Martos said a sergeant was doing paperwork Sunday morning while sitting in a parking lot near McDowell Road and 58th Avenue when the suspect walked up.
Martos said the sergeant rolled down the window to see if the man needed help.
Martos said an altercation followed and the suspect reached into the car and the officer fired his gun.
The suspect was taken to the hospital in critical condition, but he died Sunday evening, police said.
Martos said the sergeant, who is a 29-year-veteran of the Phoenix force, sustained a minor injury in the scuffle.
Authorities have not released the name of the officer or the suspect.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon