PHOENIX — The first female soldier who died during the invasion of Iraq will be remembered at the Phoenix mountain peak renamed in her honor.
Family and friends of Lori Piestewa (py-ES’-tuh-wah) will gather early Sunday morning around sunrise for a memorial service recognizing her and other fallen U.S. soldiers.
The Native American Women Warriors, an organization dedicated to helping Native American female veterans, plans to give Piestewa a special induction.
Among the friends expected to attend is Jessica Lynch, who was a member of Piestewa’s unit.
The ceremony begins at 6:30 a.m. at the Apache Ramada at Piestewa Peak.
A member of the Hopi tribe and native of Tuba City, Piestewa died March 23, 2003 when her convoy was ambushed in Nasiriyah. Piestewa and others were taken captive, but she later died of injuries suffered when her Humvee was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier