PHOENIX — The first female soldier who died during the invasion of Iraq will be remembered at the Phoenix mountain peak renamed in her honor.
Family and friends of Lori Piestewa (py-ES’-tuh-wah) will gather early Sunday morning around sunrise for a memorial service recognizing her and other fallen U.S. soldiers.
The Native American Women Warriors, an organization dedicated to helping Native American female veterans, plans to give Piestewa a special induction.
Among the friends expected to attend is Jessica Lynch, who was a member of Piestewa’s unit.
The ceremony begins at 6:30 a.m. at the Apache Ramada at Piestewa Peak.
A member of the Hopi tribe and native of Tuba City, Piestewa died March 23, 2003 when her convoy was ambushed in Nasiriyah. Piestewa and others were taken captive, but she later died of injuries suffered when her Humvee was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again