PHOENIX — At around 12:45 a.m. MST Sunday morning, the Phoenix Fire Department responded to a second alarm apartment fire at 5601 W. McDowell Rd.
Firefighters with Phoenix Engine Co. 44 were the first to arrive four minutes after the call and found that the fire had broken out on the second floor of the three-story complex.
Officials were able to locate the fire, knock it down and conduct a search of the apartment.
Upon investigation, they found five victims — a 33-year-old mother along with four children ages 14, 10, three and three months old.
The 14-year-old was announced dead at the scene, while the other four were taken to local hospitals.
According to a spokesperson with the Phoenix Fire Department, four others were trapped by smoke and fire on the third floor and eventually brought to safety.
In all, 29 residents of the apartment were displaced by the fire.
Thirteen volunteers with the Red Cross arrived at the scene and came to the aid of 17 of those residents, providing food, clothes and shelter. In addition, a nurse has been working with the residents to replace any medications that may have been lost in the fire.
At this time, the cause of the fire is unknown.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths