PHOENIX — At around 12:45 a.m. MST Sunday morning, the Phoenix Fire Department responded to a second alarm apartment fire at 5601 W. McDowell Rd.
Firefighters with Phoenix Engine Co. 44 were the first to arrive four minutes after the call and found that the fire had broken out on the second floor of the three-story complex.
Officials were able to locate the fire, knock it down and conduct a search of the apartment.
Upon investigation, they found five victims — a 33-year-old mother along with four children ages 14, 10, three and three months old.
The 14-year-old was announced dead at the scene, while the other four were taken to local hospitals.
According to a spokesperson with the Phoenix Fire Department, four others were trapped by smoke and fire on the third floor and eventually brought to safety.
In all, 29 residents of the apartment were displaced by the fire.
Thirteen volunteers with the Red Cross arrived at the scene and came to the aid of 17 of those residents, providing food, clothes and shelter. In addition, a nurse has been working with the residents to replace any medications that may have been lost in the fire.
At this time, the cause of the fire is unknown.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night