PHOENIX — At around 12:45 a.m. MST Sunday morning, the Phoenix Fire Department responded to a second alarm apartment fire at 5601 W. McDowell Rd.
Firefighters with Phoenix Engine Co. 44 were the first to arrive four minutes after the call and found that the fire had broken out on the second floor of the three-story complex.
Officials were able to locate the fire, knock it down and conduct a search of the apartment.
Upon investigation, they found five victims — a 33-year-old mother along with four children ages 14, 10, three and three months old.
The 14-year-old was announced dead at the scene, while the other four were taken to local hospitals.
According to a spokesperson with the Phoenix Fire Department, four others were trapped by smoke and fire on the third floor and eventually brought to safety.
In all, 29 residents of the apartment were displaced by the fire.
Thirteen volunteers with the Red Cross arrived at the scene and came to the aid of 17 of those residents, providing food, clothes and shelter. In addition, a nurse has been working with the residents to replace any medications that may have been lost in the fire.
At this time, the cause of the fire is unknown.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon