PHOENIX — Early Sunday morning, officials with both the Phoenix Police Department and the Phoenix Fire Department responded to an apartment fire at a complex located at 5601 W. McDowell Rd.
As firefighters battled the fire inside the residence, they discovered that five people were living in the apartment.
“One of the firefighters made his way inside to a back bedroom,” Officer James Holmes of the Phoenix PD told KTAR. “The door is closed and he immediately kicks that door in. The room is engulfed in smoke to the point where he almost has to get on his knees to get inside.
“Unfortunately, what he finds is a family of five — a 33-year-old mother and four children all unconscious.”
The oldest of the four children inside, a 14-year-old girl, was pronounced dead at the scene.
While the other four of the victims — the 33-year-old mother and her three children ages 10, three and three months old — were all transported to nearby area hospitals.
The three-year-old and three-month-old are listed in extremely critical but stable condition, while the mother and her 10-year-old are listed in critical condition.
Upon further investigation it’s believed that the fire may have been started intentionally, thus it’s being treated as a homicide.
“We conducted our investigation and as we moved forward we were able to develop information that this fire was suspicious and might well be arson,” said Holmes.
Holmes went on to add that a person of interest has been taken into police headquarters.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy