PHOENIX — Early Sunday morning, officials with both the Phoenix Police Department and the Phoenix Fire Department responded to an apartment fire at a complex located at 5601 W. McDowell Rd.
As firefighters battled the fire inside the residence, they discovered that five people were living in the apartment.
“One of the firefighters made his way inside to a back bedroom,” Officer James Holmes of the Phoenix PD told KTAR. “The door is closed and he immediately kicks that door in. The room is engulfed in smoke to the point where he almost has to get on his knees to get inside.
“Unfortunately, what he finds is a family of five — a 33-year-old mother and four children all unconscious.”
The oldest of the four children inside, a 14-year-old girl, was pronounced dead at the scene.
While the other four of the victims — the 33-year-old mother and her three children ages 10, three and three months old — were all transported to nearby area hospitals.
The three-year-old and three-month-old are listed in extremely critical but stable condition, while the mother and her 10-year-old are listed in critical condition.
Upon further investigation it’s believed that the fire may have been started intentionally, thus it’s being treated as a homicide.
“We conducted our investigation and as we moved forward we were able to develop information that this fire was suspicious and might well be arson,” said Holmes.
Holmes went on to add that a person of interest has been taken into police headquarters.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development