PHOENIX — An officer suffered a hand injury after pursuing a shoplifting suspect near a Walmart store in north Phoenix.
Police said the incident started as a shoplifting report at Walmart near Happy Valley Road and Interstate 17. Phoenix Sgt. Tommy Thompson said two officers pursued the suspect on foot behind the store, and the suspect jumped over a wall and into his dark sedan.
As the suspect shut the door, Thompson said one of the officers punched through the car’s tinted driver’s side window and was entangled for a moment while the car was in reverse. The officer then fired one shot as the suspect drove towards him, but the suspect was able to get away in the vehicle.
Thompson said police aren’t sure if the suspect was injured by the shot. They believe the suspect has been involved in other shoplifting incidents in the area.
The injuries to the officer’s hand are minor, police said.
Police continue to search cars in the area for the suspect, who is believed to be a bald, black male who is around 30 years old and 240 pounds.
Authorities closed the Happy Valley and Pinnacle Peak exit ramps to the I-17 for several hours in the late evening.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas