PHOENIX — An officer suffered a hand injury after pursuing a shoplifting suspect near a Walmart store in north Phoenix.
Police said the incident started as a shoplifting report at Walmart near Happy Valley Road and Interstate 17. Phoenix Sgt. Tommy Thompson said two officers pursued the suspect on foot behind the store, and the suspect jumped over a wall and into his dark sedan.
As the suspect shut the door, Thompson said one of the officers punched through the car’s tinted driver’s side window and was entangled for a moment while the car was in reverse. The officer then fired one shot as the suspect drove towards him, but the suspect was able to get away in the vehicle.
Thompson said police aren’t sure if the suspect was injured by the shot. They believe the suspect has been involved in other shoplifting incidents in the area.
The injuries to the officer’s hand are minor, police said.
Police continue to search cars in the area for the suspect, who is believed to be a bald, black male who is around 30 years old and 240 pounds.
Authorities closed the Happy Valley and Pinnacle Peak exit ramps to the I-17 for several hours in the late evening.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night