PHOENIX — An officer suffered a hand injury after pursuing a shoplifting suspect near a Walmart store in north Phoenix.
Police said the incident started as a shoplifting report at Walmart near Happy Valley Road and Interstate 17. Phoenix Sgt. Tommy Thompson said two officers pursued the suspect on foot behind the store, and the suspect jumped over a wall and into his dark sedan.
As the suspect shut the door, Thompson said one of the officers punched through the car’s tinted driver’s side window and was entangled for a moment while the car was in reverse. The officer then fired one shot as the suspect drove towards him, but the suspect was able to get away in the vehicle.
Thompson said police aren’t sure if the suspect was injured by the shot. They believe the suspect has been involved in other shoplifting incidents in the area.
The injuries to the officer’s hand are minor, police said.
Police continue to search cars in the area for the suspect, who is believed to be a bald, black male who is around 30 years old and 240 pounds.
Authorities closed the Happy Valley and Pinnacle Peak exit ramps to the I-17 for several hours in the late evening.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon