PHOENIX — Concussions continue to be a serious issue for kids and athletes, and a group of leaders in the field of study, treatment and prevention of concussions are coming to the Valley.
The CACTIS (Central Arizona Center for Therapy and Imaging Services) Foundation and Banner Concussion Center are hosting “Concussion 2014: The Essentials” at the Scottsdale Plaza Hotel on Saturday, which will feature lectures and discussions about the injury.
Jonathan Havens, conference coordinator with the CACTIS Foundation, said speakers are coming from all across the country and attendees will include students, nurses, athletic trainers and other healthcare professionals.
“This concussion crisis is a very hot-button topic as of right now,” Havens said.
Havens added that one of the most interesting items to be discussed at the conference is called a visual motor enhancement trainer (VMET).
“It’s a screen that helps evaluate the field of vision and timing of concussion patients,” he said.
The interactive screen has patients touch points that appear on the screen as quickly and accurately as they can — which can be used to compare a patient before and after a concussion if they’ve been tested prior, the severity of a concussion, or the prolonged effects multiple concussions could have on someone’s vision and motor skills, Havens said.
The conference will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy