PHOENIX — A 2-year-old girl was found alone in a Phoenix park just after 2 p.m. Friday.
Phoenix policed searched the area surrounding Solano Park — near 17th and Montebello avenues — for hours, looking for the parents and information on the toddler, eventually turning her over to Child Protective Services.
Witnesses said they saw three adults with other children leave the area in a white minivan, but they were not certain that the lost child was a part of that group.
Police said two women arrived at the park together in the early evening to claim the young girl. One woman, determined to be the child’s mother, was eventually arrested, while the other was questioned by police.
The mother was identified as Fredeana Collins, a 36-year-old Native American. The child will remain in CPS’ custody while the mother is being booked for child neglect and having alcohol in a city park.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night