PHOENIX — University of Arizona medical students were told during Match Day Friday where they would be working a three- to five-year residency by hospitals around the nation.
The students and hospitals are paired in a matching program to ensure students have a say as to which of the 29,000 nationwide spots they would fill.
“They rank the programs in the order in which they want to go to and the programs rank the students in the order they wish to accept,” said Karen Restifo, associate dean of student affairs at the University of Arizona’ College of Medicine in Phoenix. “There’s a centralized database that matches the students with the programs, and the results of that are released (Friday).”
Students around the country found out where they will be serving in simultaneous announcements at 10 a.m. Arizona time.
Nearly 40 of those students were at the Phoenix campus when they found out. One of them was Kelly Thompson-Saunders, who has spent the last four years studying gynecology and obstetrics. She’ll spend the next four years as a resident at Banner Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix.
She wants to deliver babies.
“You are participating in this really life-changing moment for someone else, and to get to be a part of that is phenomenal,” Thompson-Saunders said. “I can’t imagine doing anything else.”
She has already done it once.
“I had my third year rotation where I got to deliver my first baby ever and there is no experience like it,” she said. “It’s got that excitement and all-over sense of well-being.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets