PHOENIX — University of Arizona medical students were told during Match Day Friday where they would be working a three- to five-year residency by hospitals around the nation.
The students and hospitals are paired in a matching program to ensure students have a say as to which of the 29,000 nationwide spots they would fill.
“They rank the programs in the order in which they want to go to and the programs rank the students in the order they wish to accept,” said Karen Restifo, associate dean of student affairs at the University of Arizona’ College of Medicine in Phoenix. “There’s a centralized database that matches the students with the programs, and the results of that are released (Friday).”
Students around the country found out where they will be serving in simultaneous announcements at 10 a.m. Arizona time.
Nearly 40 of those students were at the Phoenix campus when they found out. One of them was Kelly Thompson-Saunders, who has spent the last four years studying gynecology and obstetrics. She’ll spend the next four years as a resident at Banner Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix.
She wants to deliver babies.
“You are participating in this really life-changing moment for someone else, and to get to be a part of that is phenomenal,” Thompson-Saunders said. “I can’t imagine doing anything else.”
She has already done it once.
“I had my third year rotation where I got to deliver my first baby ever and there is no experience like it,” she said. “It’s got that excitement and all-over sense of well-being.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier