PHOENIX — The new search area for Malaysian Air flight MH 370 is the ocean’s equivalent to a blender, a University of Arizona professor said.
The search is currently focused on an area off the coast of Australia.
“This is a huge mixing area for the ocean where the cold waters from very deep (come) up to the surface and we mix them with other water and we push it back down,” said Joellen Russell, an expert on the southern Indian Ocean. “It’s like blender for the ocean. It may be finding one piece here and having to go a couple hundred miles to find another piece.”
Those hunting for the possibly downed aircraft are also in for a rough ride, as that blender is driven by a strong current that also creates perilous conditions.
“There’s a very strong current that runs around Antarctica with these unbounded winds because they don’t really run into any speed bumps like the Rockies or the Himalayas,” said Russell. “They’re very, very, very fast winds and they create really, really big waves.”
The plan has been missing since March 8.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon