PHOENIX — The new search area for Malaysian Air flight MH 370 is the ocean’s equivalent to a blender, a University of Arizona professor said.
The search is currently focused on an area off the coast of Australia.
“This is a huge mixing area for the ocean where the cold waters from very deep (come) up to the surface and we mix them with other water and we push it back down,” said Joellen Russell, an expert on the southern Indian Ocean. “It’s like blender for the ocean. It may be finding one piece here and having to go a couple hundred miles to find another piece.”
Those hunting for the possibly downed aircraft are also in for a rough ride, as that blender is driven by a strong current that also creates perilous conditions.
“There’s a very strong current that runs around Antarctica with these unbounded winds because they don’t really run into any speed bumps like the Rockies or the Himalayas,” said Russell. “They’re very, very, very fast winds and they create really, really big waves.”
The plan has been missing since March 8.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments