PHOENIX — A Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy is still on the job while the County Attorney’s Office decides whether he should be charged with manslaughter.
Meanwhile, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he’s planning his own internal investigation into the actions of Deputy Sean Pearce but did not say when that would begin.
Glendale police say that on Dec. 16, 2013, Pearce was driving a Chevy Tahoe 81 mph, which is twice the posted speed limit, when it struck a car near 59th Avenue and Northern. The driver of the car, 63-year-old Army veteran John Harding, was killed in the crash.
Pearce claims he was chasing a murder suspect at the time and that his Tahoe did not have lights and sirens in the car.
“He was not arrested,” Arpaio said. “This is an investigation by the Glendale police, who turned it over to the County Attorney. It will be up to the County Attorney to make a decision on any charges.”
Arpaio said that Pearce is devastated by the accident. He added that Pearce has a great record as a deputy.
“He’s been on the job for 21 years. (He’s) dedicated,” Arpaio said. “No blemish on his record. He was shot and almost killed by a violent criminal.”
Pearce is the son of former Arizona Senate President Russell Pearce, a longtime Arpaio ally. Arpaio said that despite the relationship, he’s not showing favoritism or playing politics.
“If anybody wants to go after him, me or the County Attorney for political reasons…it’s not fair. This has nothing to do with politics,” said Arpaio.
Russell Pearce is also a supporter of Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America