PHOENIX — Ripley’s Believe It or Not is touring the country seeking new items to add to their collection and will be in Phoenix Friday and Saturday.
The entertainment company that specializes in the weird and bizarre is hosting an “odd appraisal” opportunity called the “Bizarre Buying Bazaar” at the Phoenix Convention Center.
Edward Meyers, vice president of exhibits and archives for Ripley’s Entertainment, said people can come to the convention center with oddities and possibly turn them into cash.
“If you’ve got something weird or strange (or) bizarre that you think belongs in the Ripley’s collection, we are going to give what we call ‘odd appraisals,'” he said. “If we really like what you’ve got, we’re going to make you a financial offer on the spot.”
Meyers said people can bring down almost anything.
“It can be history, it can be science, it can be geography, it can be art, which is one of the things we typically find,” Meyers said, citing examples such as dresses made from coffee filters or boats made from matchsticks.
Phoenix is the fifth stop in the nationwide search by Ripley’s, and Meyers said so far one of the strangest items he’s seen has been three motorcycles made mostly from animal parts.
“Full-sized motorcycles — three of them — built from cow bones…(and) some other parts, such as an alligator skull for a fender and a turtle shell for a headlamp,” he said.
People can come to the Phoenix Convention Center between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. both days to get items appraised.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon