PHOENIX — Ripley’s Believe It or Not is touring the country seeking new items to add to their collection and will be in Phoenix Friday and Saturday.
The entertainment company that specializes in the weird and bizarre is hosting an “odd appraisal” opportunity called the “Bizarre Buying Bazaar” at the Phoenix Convention Center.
Edward Meyers, vice president of exhibits and archives for Ripley’s Entertainment, said people can come to the convention center with oddities and possibly turn them into cash.
“If you’ve got something weird or strange (or) bizarre that you think belongs in the Ripley’s collection, we are going to give what we call ‘odd appraisals,'” he said. “If we really like what you’ve got, we’re going to make you a financial offer on the spot.”
Meyers said people can bring down almost anything.
“It can be history, it can be science, it can be geography, it can be art, which is one of the things we typically find,” Meyers said, citing examples such as dresses made from coffee filters or boats made from matchsticks.
Phoenix is the fifth stop in the nationwide search by Ripley’s, and Meyers said so far one of the strangest items he’s seen has been three motorcycles made mostly from animal parts.
“Full-sized motorcycles — three of them — built from cow bones…(and) some other parts, such as an alligator skull for a fender and a turtle shell for a headlamp,” he said.
People can come to the Phoenix Convention Center between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. both days to get items appraised.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier