PHOENIX — Ripley’s Believe It or Not is touring the country seeking new items to add to their collection and will be in Phoenix Friday and Saturday.
The entertainment company that specializes in the weird and bizarre is hosting an “odd appraisal” opportunity called the “Bizarre Buying Bazaar” at the Phoenix Convention Center.
Edward Meyers, vice president of exhibits and archives for Ripley’s Entertainment, said people can come to the convention center with oddities and possibly turn them into cash.
“If you’ve got something weird or strange (or) bizarre that you think belongs in the Ripley’s collection, we are going to give what we call ‘odd appraisals,'” he said. “If we really like what you’ve got, we’re going to make you a financial offer on the spot.”
Meyers said people can bring down almost anything.
“It can be history, it can be science, it can be geography, it can be art, which is one of the things we typically find,” Meyers said, citing examples such as dresses made from coffee filters or boats made from matchsticks.
Phoenix is the fifth stop in the nationwide search by Ripley’s, and Meyers said so far one of the strangest items he’s seen has been three motorcycles made mostly from animal parts.
“Full-sized motorcycles — three of them — built from cow bones…(and) some other parts, such as an alligator skull for a fender and a turtle shell for a headlamp,” he said.
People can come to the Phoenix Convention Center between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. both days to get items appraised.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night