PHOENIX — Auto recalls have been in the headlines recently and consumers looking to buy used cars online might be concerned whether they’re looking at a car possibly involved in an open or unfixed recall.
GM recently issued a massive recall due to faulty ignition switches in certain vehicles and Toyota settled with the Justice Department this week for more than one billion dollars from a 2009 recall.
Travis Mock, automotive supervisor for Triple-A Arizona, said there are resources available for people to make sure a vehicle is fine before buying it.
“If you have a trusted automotive shop that you deal with, they can actually, actively look up recalls and all technical service bulletins,” he said.
If a consumer does not have a trusted shop, Mock said they can also go to SaferCar.gov. By simply typing in a make and model of a vehicle, they can see if there are any recalls associated with the car.
That information is also accessible via an application for smartphones.
“Both in the Android store and the Apple store, there’s also an application called SaferCar,” he said. “From your cell phone, type in that kind of information and it’ll tell you if there are any open (or) active recalls.”
Mock added that dealerships can provide recall information if provided with a vehicle identification number and recommends consumers have vehicles inspected before buying.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon