PHOENIX — Auto recalls have been in the headlines recently and consumers looking to buy used cars online might be concerned whether they’re looking at a car possibly involved in an open or unfixed recall.
GM recently issued a massive recall due to faulty ignition switches in certain vehicles and Toyota settled with the Justice Department this week for more than one billion dollars from a 2009 recall.
Travis Mock, automotive supervisor for Triple-A Arizona, said there are resources available for people to make sure a vehicle is fine before buying it.
“If you have a trusted automotive shop that you deal with, they can actually, actively look up recalls and all technical service bulletins,” he said.
If a consumer does not have a trusted shop, Mock said they can also go to SaferCar.gov. By simply typing in a make and model of a vehicle, they can see if there are any recalls associated with the car.
That information is also accessible via an application for smartphones.
“Both in the Android store and the Apple store, there’s also an application called SaferCar,” he said. “From your cell phone, type in that kind of information and it’ll tell you if there are any open (or) active recalls.”
Mock added that dealerships can provide recall information if provided with a vehicle identification number and recommends consumers have vehicles inspected before buying.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths