PHOENIX — A group of runners raising money for the victims, survivors and families of those affected by last year’s Boston Marathon bombings passed through Phoenix on Thursday.
The group is called One Run for Boston and is running across the country until they finish the run in Boston, just a week before this year’s marathon.
Organizer Danny Bent said he put together the run because those affected by the bombing are part of the running community, which is like a family.
“We all go through these races together and it doesn’t matter what sex you are, what nationality, what race you are, what religion,” he said. “We’re all runners and we all support each other throughout these races.”
By the time the baton was passed to the one of Wednesday’s runners, Bryan Wilcox, the One Run for Boston group had run more than 400 miles since starting in Santa Monica, Calif. on Sunday, Bent said. He added that they have also raised nearly a quarter-million dollars.
“For the survivors of the marathon bombing, we’re getting close to about $250,000,” Bent said.
The group will continue heading east and taking donations, which can be made at OneRunForBoston.org, Bent said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.