PHOENIX — Thanks to the help of the community, over 250 kids on 18 teams will get to play in the South Mountain Little League this year.
In November, vandals stole equipment from 7th Street and Southern Avenue, including “fencing from the Tee-Ball field, the minor field, the backstops, dugouts, (and) outfield and three or four complete sets of aluminum bleachers,” said Little League board member Michael Martinez Sr.
Martinez has been on a mission ever since to get the fields ready to play for the 2014 season.
“I have not stopped since I walked onto the field; it broke my heart,” Martinez said.
With the help of the local owners of several businesses, including Carl’s Jr., Pizza Patron and Home Depot, the bleachers have been replaced and are ready for use, just in time for opening day on Saturday.
“Our little Tee-Ballers start taking their pictures in the outfield at about 8 a.m.,” said Martinez. “At about 12:30 or 1 p.m., we’re doing our actual opening ceremonies.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development