PHOENIX — Thanks to the help of the community, over 250 kids on 18 teams will get to play in the South Mountain Little League this year.
In November, vandals stole equipment from 7th Street and Southern Avenue, including “fencing from the Tee-Ball field, the minor field, the backstops, dugouts, (and) outfield and three or four complete sets of aluminum bleachers,” said Little League board member Michael Martinez Sr.
Martinez has been on a mission ever since to get the fields ready to play for the 2014 season.
“I have not stopped since I walked onto the field; it broke my heart,” Martinez said.
With the help of the local owners of several businesses, including Carl’s Jr., Pizza Patron and Home Depot, the bleachers have been replaced and are ready for use, just in time for opening day on Saturday.
“Our little Tee-Ballers start taking their pictures in the outfield at about 8 a.m.,” said Martinez. “At about 12:30 or 1 p.m., we’re doing our actual opening ceremonies.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them