PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has released the results of a three-month study that his office did on the cases of over 1,300 illegal immigrants that were held in MCSO jails.
The study found that 31 percent, or one in three prisoners, are back in the jail, even after having been previously arrested and turned over to ICE for deportation.
“There are only two explanations,” said Arpaio. “Either they’re out the back door (and) on the streets, with no action taken. They haven’t been deported, most of them.
“Or they have been deported, and they keep coming across the border.”
Arpaio accuses President Barack Obama of playing a shell game by using inflated deportation statistics to claim that record numbers of illegal immigrants are being deported.
Meanwhile, Arpaio said that he has not dropped his fight against illegal immigration.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement requested MCSO to conduct the study.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night