PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has released the results of a three-month study that his office did on the cases of over 1,300 illegal immigrants that were held in MCSO jails.
The study found that 31 percent, or one in three prisoners, are back in the jail, even after having been previously arrested and turned over to ICE for deportation.
“There are only two explanations,” said Arpaio. “Either they’re out the back door (and) on the streets, with no action taken. They haven’t been deported, most of them.
“Or they have been deported, and they keep coming across the border.”
Arpaio accuses President Barack Obama of playing a shell game by using inflated deportation statistics to claim that record numbers of illegal immigrants are being deported.
Meanwhile, Arpaio said that he has not dropped his fight against illegal immigration.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement requested MCSO to conduct the study.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon