PHOENIX — Whenever there is a captivating new story with mass appeal, cyber crooks step up their game to dupe unsuspecting consumers into divulging their personal information.
“It happened when Michael Jackson died, when Osama Bin Laden was captured and killed (and) it’s happening again with the disappearance of the Malaysian flight,” said Ori Eisen, co-founder of 41st Parameter, a Scottsdale-based online fraud detection software company. “They prey on the curious.”
In the case of the missing Malaysian flight, crooks have started to post bogus pictures, along with attention-grabbing photographs, depicting what may appear to be wreckage or survivors on social networking sites. In reality, the pictures are fake or of a different incident altogether.
The goal is to lure people to these sites and methodically attain personal information or to infect computers with malware.
“There’s really no way to stop it,” Eisen said. “You have to think twice about opening anything that isn’t from someone you know.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development