PHOENIX — Arizona ranks second in the nation for smokers who found a way around a state tax on their cigarettes, a study said.
A study by the Michigan-based Mackinac Center for Public Policy said that, as of 2012, 51.5 percent of the cigarettes smoked in Arizona were purchased in ways that avoid paying a state sales tax of $2 per pack, a 19 percent jump from 2006. There are several places where these “smuggled cigarettes” are sold.
“Indian reservations, Mexico and what we think, but have not tagged a number for yet, is bonded warehouses,” said Michael LaFaive, director of Fiscal Policy for the Mackinac Center for Public Policy. “A bonded warehouse is sort of a weigh station for products that come into the country from overseas.”
LaFaive said that one of these warehouses is believed to be located near Phoenix.
“We think that about 19 percent of the smuggling that occurs inbound into Arizona is from your border with Mexico,” LeFaive said. “However, we think that a portion of that, which is captured as international smuggling, might actually be from bonded warehouses.”
Todd Nesbit, LeFaive’s assistant, said a majority of the “smuggled cigarettes” are purchased as a direct result of Arizona’s cigarette sales tax.
LaFaive said there are two ways to reduce the number of cigarettes being “smuggled” into Arizona: Doing away with the sales tax or getting people to quit smoking.
New York topped Arizona in the survey, with nearly 57 percent of the cigarettes being smuggled into that state. New York has a $4.35 per pack tax on cigarettes. New Mexico is right behind Arizona, followed by Washington, Wisconsin and California, respectively.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon