PHOENIX — Arizona ranks second in the nation for smokers who found a way around a state tax on their cigarettes, a study said.
A study by the Michigan-based Mackinac Center for Public Policy said that, as of 2012, 51.5 percent of the cigarettes smoked in Arizona were purchased in ways that avoid paying a state sales tax of $2 per pack, a 19 percent jump from 2006. There are several places where these “smuggled cigarettes” are sold.
“Indian reservations, Mexico and what we think, but have not tagged a number for yet, is bonded warehouses,” said Michael LaFaive, director of Fiscal Policy for the Mackinac Center for Public Policy. “A bonded warehouse is sort of a weigh station for products that come into the country from overseas.”
LaFaive said that one of these warehouses is believed to be located near Phoenix.
“We think that about 19 percent of the smuggling that occurs inbound into Arizona is from your border with Mexico,” LeFaive said. “However, we think that a portion of that, which is captured as international smuggling, might actually be from bonded warehouses.”
Todd Nesbit, LeFaive’s assistant, said a majority of the “smuggled cigarettes” are purchased as a direct result of Arizona’s cigarette sales tax.
LaFaive said there are two ways to reduce the number of cigarettes being “smuggled” into Arizona: Doing away with the sales tax or getting people to quit smoking.
New York topped Arizona in the survey, with nearly 57 percent of the cigarettes being smuggled into that state. New York has a $4.35 per pack tax on cigarettes. New Mexico is right behind Arizona, followed by Washington, Wisconsin and California, respectively.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America