PHOENIX — If you’re trying to drop a few pounds, you may want to skip the celery and head straight to the tequila. Or at least the plant it’s made from.
A new study said the natural sweeteners in the agave plant, agavins, could suppress appetites and lower blood glucose levels. The agave plant is used to make tequila.
“The researchers got a little bit excited because they said, ‘Well, maybe there’s something here that we should be using agavins as a sugar substitute,'” said Dr. Fabrizio Mancini, who works with celebrities.
The study showed a drop in the blood glucose levels of lab mice that had consumed agavins.
The naturally-occurring agavins are unable to be digested by the body, which treats them as dietary fiber, the study said.
Researchers said raw agavins are different than the processed agave nectar or syrup being sold at health stores. Agavins are also not in tequila, as they are used to create alcohol during the fermentation process.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again