PHOENIX — When your telephone rings, you need to be ready, because someone may be trying to scam you.
It’s happening in Buckeye.
“One of our citizens received a call from a person who said that the caller’s debit card and credit card were frozen and requested that the victim type their credit card number and pin number into the telephone,” said Buckeye Police Sgt. Jason Weeks.
Weeks said that getting a call like that and doing what the caller requests could spell disaster for you.
“As soon as you start typing in your information, they (the scammers) have coders,” Weeks explained. “They immediately have access to your account at that time and can clean it out within a matter of 30 to 40 minutes.”
In the Buckeye case, Weeks said the victim did the right thing by hanging up and calling police and urges other Valley residents to do the same.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier