PHOENIX — When your telephone rings, you need to be ready, because someone may be trying to scam you.
It’s happening in Buckeye.
“One of our citizens received a call from a person who said that the caller’s debit card and credit card were frozen and requested that the victim type their credit card number and pin number into the telephone,” said Buckeye Police Sgt. Jason Weeks.
Weeks said that getting a call like that and doing what the caller requests could spell disaster for you.
“As soon as you start typing in your information, they (the scammers) have coders,” Weeks explained. “They immediately have access to your account at that time and can clean it out within a matter of 30 to 40 minutes.”
In the Buckeye case, Weeks said the victim did the right thing by hanging up and calling police and urges other Valley residents to do the same.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development