PHOENIX — The Valley gets much of its water from the Colorado River but the supply from that river may dwindle in the future and the state may have to search for other ways to quench the thirst of residents.
The Central Arizona Project takes water from the Colorado River and distributes it throughout much of Arizona, including Phoenix and Tucson. But the river is drying up and no longer reaches the Gulf of California. It’s been named one of America’s 13 most endangered rivers by “American Rivers.”
“We know the Colorado has less flow in it than it did when it was allocated to seven states,” said David Modeer, general manager of the Central Arizona Project. “That, in turn with growth and needs for it in industry and agriculture, means there is less water to go around to everybody.”
Modeer said Arizona needs more sources for water. One could come from localized desalination.
“That means taking out of water that is brackish or contaminated,” Modeer said.
Arizona has some areas where the water is like that. Modeer said that a lot of it can be found in the Buckeye and Yuma areas.
“There’s a lot of highly saline water,” he said. “It’s not as much as ocean water, but, still, it’s more than you would use directly
“We can build desalination plants at not a real high cost compared to desalinating ocean water, and use that to supplement our supplies in the Phoenix metropolitan area and even on down to Tucson.”
Modeer said that a long-term project to desalinate water from the Gulf of California could help Arizona’s water supply for the next 30 to 50 years, but that would require an agreement between Arizona and Mexico.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them