PHOENIX — It was called Common Core, then Gov. Jan Brewer renamed it Arizona College and Career Ready Standards. By any name, it has opponents and they showed up at the state capitol Wednesday.
“Common Core is telling our local school districts how children must be educated from the federal government level,” Diane Douglas, who’s running for Superintendent of Public Instruction.
The group asked people to vote yes on HB 2316, the last of a bunch anti-Common Core bills. Their signs read “Protect student privacy” and “Bring back local control.”
“What is something you would not want to be taught to your children?” asked Douglas. “Whatever your individual hot buttons are, the federal government can now come in and say, ‘It’s going to be taught your children.'”
Those who do not want to get rid of Common Core say it could cost the state nearly $1 billion in federal aid.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development