PHOENIX — The Arizona Senate Finance Committee is considering a bill that would let lending companies charge 36 percent interest on loans of $3,000 or less.
Right now, they can only charge that amount on loans of $1,000 or less.
Opponents of House Bill 2526 spoke out against it Wednesday at the Arizona Capitol Building. State Sen. Steve Farley said the bill is supported by Springleaf Financial, which is a subsidiary of the AIG insurance company.
“It seems to me that AIG, which was one of the beneficiaries of the bailout, and one of the main organizations behind our worldwide economic crisis, is looking to increase their profits at the expense of modest income Arizonans,” he said. “It’s one company behind this. They want to double their profits. It’s that simple.”
State Rep. Debbie McCune Davis agreed with Farley.
“Our concern, as legislators, is to make sure that the changes in this statute provide protections for consumers,” she said. “Without that assurance, we meet their (AIG’s) needs, but not that of consumers.”
Glendale resident John Bernall said that HB 2526 would benefit lenders while hurting senior citizens and others who don’t qualify for other loans.
“We’re going to raise the fees, and the legislature wants to pass this kind of bill? It’s immoral and unethical.”
The bill has already passed the House.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.