PHOENIX — A Navy officer from Phoenix is on board the USS Kidd helping in the search for the missing Malaysian jet.
“We are committed to helping the Malaysian government and to helping the families have some type of closure,” Navy Lt. j.g. Eric Bachtel said. Bachtel is a combat information center officer.
“There are 300-plus here on Kidd who are honored to be here. We are trying to be positive and are hopeful that we find the aircraft. Nothing is impossible.”
The USS Kidd is expanding its patrol area from the northwest entrance of the Strait of Malacca into the Indian Ocean and Andaman Sea.
The ship is searching more than 1,500 square miles of ocean each day, investigating any possible debris that may be linked to the airliner’s crash. The information is shared with the Malaysian government.
“We would hope that if it were one of our aircraft, there would be 25 countries … (to) support us as well,” said Batchel.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy