PHOENIX — First, a tribute to the 19 Yarnell firefighters was painted. Now, the painting has been commemorated on a pin.
“It’s not about me at all,” said Red Cross spokeswoman Michele Maki, who is also an artist and volunteer. “It’s all about Yarnell. It’s all about the firefighters that perished there and the whole community.”
The painting on the pin shows the Yarnell Hill Fire, during which 19 firefighters perished on June 30, 2013.
“I took what I saw, the patches that I saw them wear, and researched it,” she said. “I wanted to honor them.”
The Yarnell fire hit the Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter especially hard because it was so close to home, she added.
The pin will be given to more than 700 Red Cross Grand Canyon volunteers at a March 22 brunch at the Phoenix Zoo.
For many volunteers, these pins are like little thank-yous that symbolize a history of who they are and what they’ve accomplished.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns