PHOENIX — First, a tribute to the 19 Yarnell firefighters was painted. Now, the painting has been commemorated on a pin.
“It’s not about me at all,” said Red Cross spokeswoman Michele Maki, who is also an artist and volunteer. “It’s all about Yarnell. It’s all about the firefighters that perished there and the whole community.”
The painting on the pin shows the Yarnell Hill Fire, during which 19 firefighters perished on June 30, 2013.
“I took what I saw, the patches that I saw them wear, and researched it,” she said. “I wanted to honor them.”
The Yarnell fire hit the Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter especially hard because it was so close to home, she added.
The pin will be given to more than 700 Red Cross Grand Canyon volunteers at a March 22 brunch at the Phoenix Zoo.
For many volunteers, these pins are like little thank-yous that symbolize a history of who they are and what they’ve accomplished.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon