PHOENIX — A Pearl Harbor veteran was among a group who unveiled a new stamp honoring the U.S.S. Arizona at a Phoenix memorial Tuesday.
“The Postal Service is honoring the U.S.S. Arizona memorial with a new priority mail express stamp,” said Postal Service Manager John Morgan. “You can use this stamp when you send packages via priority express mail, which is our fastest shipping service.”
Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett said the stamp honored those who served at Pearl Harbor, including those who are still alive.
“Probably within the next decade, we won’t have any of those Pearl Harbor survivors with us,” he said. “Stamps like this will always remind us of the brave men and women who served in our military or are serving today.”
One of those Pearl Harbor survivors is 92-year-old Army veteran Albert Thomas of Mesa, Ariz. He said the stamp pays tribute to Pearl Harbor survivors who are still alive today.
“May they be remembered down to the last man,” he said.
Thomas then became emotional when he spoke of those who died in the attack.
“I say to them, ‘Rest in peace, brothers. Rest in peace.'”
The stamp depicts the U.S.S. Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. The Arizona sank after being attacked by Japanese warplanes on Dec. 7, 1941. The stamp had its Hawaii unveiling Friday.
The official price of the stamp is $19.99. It is available at all post offices.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns