PHOENIX — A Pearl Harbor veteran was among a group who unveiled a new stamp honoring the U.S.S. Arizona at a Phoenix memorial Tuesday.
“The Postal Service is honoring the U.S.S. Arizona memorial with a new priority mail express stamp,” said Postal Service Manager John Morgan. “You can use this stamp when you send packages via priority express mail, which is our fastest shipping service.”
Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett said the stamp honored those who served at Pearl Harbor, including those who are still alive.
“Probably within the next decade, we won’t have any of those Pearl Harbor survivors with us,” he said. “Stamps like this will always remind us of the brave men and women who served in our military or are serving today.”
One of those Pearl Harbor survivors is 92-year-old Army veteran Albert Thomas of Mesa, Ariz. He said the stamp pays tribute to Pearl Harbor survivors who are still alive today.
“May they be remembered down to the last man,” he said.
Thomas then became emotional when he spoke of those who died in the attack.
“I say to them, ‘Rest in peace, brothers. Rest in peace.'”
The stamp depicts the U.S.S. Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. The Arizona sank after being attacked by Japanese warplanes on Dec. 7, 1941. The stamp had its Hawaii unveiling Friday.
The official price of the stamp is $19.99. It is available at all post offices.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food