PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain said America needs to send not only support, but weapons, to Ukraine after the Crimea was annexed by Russia following a weekend vote of support.
In a statement, McCain called for greater support for Ukraine and imposing additional costs on Russia.
To support Ukraine, McCain wants the U.S. to work with NATO to get food and other aid to both troops and civilians in the eastern part of the country. He also wants guns.
“Rush the modest military assistance to the Ukrainian government that its leaders have requested, including some small arms and ammunition, as well as significant non-lethal assistance, such as protective equipment, spare parts, fuel, and sharing of intelligence.”
The senator also called for $1 billion in loan guarantees to be promised to the Eastern European nation and steps to enhance the importation of U.S. gasoline and natural gas to reduce Ukraine’s fuel dependence on Russia, which could be used as a bargaining chip.
On Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a treaty to annex Crimea but suggested his country was not seeking to take over other parts of Ukraine.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life