PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain said America needs to send not only support, but weapons, to Ukraine after the Crimea was annexed by Russia following a weekend vote of support.
In a statement, McCain called for greater support for Ukraine and imposing additional costs on Russia.
To support Ukraine, McCain wants the U.S. to work with NATO to get food and other aid to both troops and civilians in the eastern part of the country. He also wants guns.
“Rush the modest military assistance to the Ukrainian government that its leaders have requested, including some small arms and ammunition, as well as significant non-lethal assistance, such as protective equipment, spare parts, fuel, and sharing of intelligence.”
The senator also called for $1 billion in loan guarantees to be promised to the Eastern European nation and steps to enhance the importation of U.S. gasoline and natural gas to reduce Ukraine’s fuel dependence on Russia, which could be used as a bargaining chip.
On Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a treaty to annex Crimea but suggested his country was not seeking to take over other parts of Ukraine.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night