PHOENIX — Arizona State University climatologist Randy Cerveny said the state has been in varying degrees of drought since 1997, but Arizona isn’t close to an extended water shortage yet.
“Normal droughts in the past century spanned about 20 years,” he said.
But the state has been through mega droughts before. Some lasted more than a century and there’s no guarantee that we’re not in the early stages of another mega drought.
“Whether this drought will be incredibly long remains to be seen,” Cerveny said. “We can’t see that far into the future. A long-term drought contributed to the fall of the early Native Americans civilizations in Arizona in the 1300s and 1500s.”
Another concern to Cerveny is Arizona’s continued population growth.
“That puts even greater demand on what rain and snowfall we do get,” he said. “Simply, we have so many more people and that water can only be stretched so far.”
Complicating the drought is the fact that Phoenix’s only winter rainfall came on March 1.
“That storm helped,” said Cerveny. “If we hadn’t received that storm we’d be in desperate shape. We went for 70 days without rain until then.”
The National Weather Service said if Phoenix doesn’t receive another drop of rain this winter, this will be the 26th driest winter in Valley history.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them